Monday, October 10, 2005

mice and chickens and snakes, oh my

Besides Jeff and Randy ripping a hole and putting in stairs, we hadn't done a whole lot in the attic, until now. In case you haven't seen the critters page, let me fill you in. Owls lived here. The lived up here, eating, having babies, and leaving behind the epidomy of all that is vile. And, I have been given the glamorous job of vacuuming it all up (you haven't lived till you've gotten a mummified mole stuck in the hose of a Shop-Vac). Needless to say, it has taken a while to get moving on that...

Our plan is to put up 4' knee-walls, leaving 8' wide rooms. The attic is shaped like the rest of the house, an L. One side is 45' and the other is 35' long. If the structure cooperates and the gable doesn't fall off the front of the house, we'll have 2 bedrooms, a little living area, and a bathroom up there. But, again, we can't move until the floor is clean.

As of tonight, I am almost finished with this revolting job. I want you to picture us in a dark attic lit with shop lights, with respirators on, cleaning up owl crap. Ugh. There are so many bones and stuff up there it is just unreal. To top it all off, there was the skeleton of a chicken up there. Looks like the owl's eyes were bigger than her stomach. There was also an egg that never hatched. If you want to see pics, click here, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Jeff reinforced the rafters in preparation for taking out the center rafter that will be our doorway/hallway at the top of the stairs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly-
"Scrambled Eggs"?! Great title. My sister went through fertility treatments...she never did get pregnant. It was tough - on everyone. The good news is she adopted a little girl from Korea that is the light of their lives. So all is well that ends well.
You have two little boys!!! woo hooo!! They are gorgeous!! Congratulations. There is a rather large gap in the blogs jumping from "eggs" to "house" and the boys just all of the sudden are there. I imagine you were incredibly busy during the interum, but I can't help but wonder how it all came about.
I'm rambling.
Just wanted to say how happy it made me it you had children and had gone on to achieve the American Dream! LOL Mazel Tov!!

FreeBird Farm said...

Thank you so much!

I actually just had to change the name of my other blog... someone else doing the infertility-thing already had a title "scrabled eggs", just had a slightly different address. I figured I'd change to avoid any confusion. I decided on "Egg Me On". Not quite the same ring, but ah well.

I am moving all of the baby-making content from my computer over to the blogspot site, and I hope to be all updated and have it up-to-speed soon!

Thanks again! :)