Sunday, June 04, 2006

Ophidiophobia

The other day, I was walking by the front door when I noticed a major racket outside. There were about 15 blue jays in our oak tree, going NUTS! They were screaming and hopping around with their wings spread... and then I saw what the commotion was all about...


2 huge rat snakes came out of a hole in a high branch. They came out and slithered around the tree for a while, and eventually went back in. They didn't seem to mind the birds very much, but the birds sure didn't like them. I tried to estimate their size, but I could only guess that day that they were longer than I am tall. It wasn't until a few days later (when another brave little blue jay got my attention) that I was able to better judge their size, while one was on the ground heading for the tree. They are about 5 1/2 to 6 feet long!

Jeff and the boys have been kicking butt on the back deck. The joists are in, and now they are gearing up to put up the posts and lay the decking!

No comments: