Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bye Bye Bees

The oak tree right out our front door has seen better days. We knew it was in bad shape, but the city wants to cut it down. I am upset. I know it's rotten and there's nothing I can do about it, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to pout like a little kid. That tree has been here forever. It goes with our house. I'm not happy.

If the tree must go, we want to save the honey bees that live there. Our friends, Jeff and Kierstin, came over and put a bee box in the tree. They put a screen funnel up over the hole to the hive. In theory, the bees can get out, but can't get back in. They put the box up last night and it seems to be working. This morning, there are bees that have gotten out, and cannot find a way back in. A lot of them still haven't figured out a way out yet. Hopefully, tonight they will see the box next to their hive, smell the honey inside, and go make a new home!


No comments: